· Settle down quietly into a comfortable yet attentive position.
Wherever you are, you are in the presence of God, acknowledge this.
· Offer yourself, your time and your imagination to God.
· Ask God for what you need today, what you desire.
This could be for a greater love of Jesus, in words such as: Jesus, may I know you clearly, love you more dearly and follow you more nearly.
· Ask God to inspire you and let the picture reveal what God wants you to see.
· What do you feel overall about the picture. Do you like it or dislike it?
You may appreciate the colours, the mood, the composition etc.
· Pay careful attention to the picture. If there are people in it, see how they relate to each other. How do you imagine the people are feeling?
Are there significant signs or symbols in the picture?
· Spend some time just contemplating the picture.
· What does the picture say to you? Does it challenge you in any way?
Does it introduce you to a new way of seeing things?
Perhaps you don’t like the way the artist or photographer sees things and you imagine things very differently.
· You may want to talk to God about the picture, or about something in your life that the picture has evoked. You may want an imaginary conversation with one or more of the characters in the picture.
· Finish with a formal prayer such as the Lord’s Prayer/Our Father.